National Anti-Racism Council
NEW: CERD Committee Concluding Remarks
The CERD Committee Concluding Remarks were released on August 23, 2002. Go to CERD Committee Report for more.
NARC welcomes the opportunity to provide the CERD Committee with a community perspective on the status of compliance with the Convention by our government.
The NARC shadow report to the CERD Committee entitled: RACIAL DISCRIMINATION IN CANADA, The Status of Compliance by the Canadian Government with the International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination is posted at NARC CERD Report.
The UN World Conference Against Racism and NGO Forum
UN World Conference Against Racism, Racial Discrimination, Xenophobia and Related Intolerance: "United to combat racism: Equality, Justice, Dignity" took place from 31st August - 8th September, 2001 in Durban, South Africa.
The World Conference Against Racism NGO Forum hosted by The South African NGO Coalition took place from 28th August - 1st September 2001 in Durban, South Africa
The First Session of the Preparatory Committee adopted the following five broad themes for the provisional agenda:
1. Sources, causes, forms and contemporary manifestations of racism, racial discrimination, xenophobia and related intolerance.
2. Victims of racism, racial discrimination, xenophobia and related intolerance.
3. Measures of prevention, education and protection aimed at the eradication of racism, racial discrimination, xenophobia and related intolerance at national, regional and international levels.
4. Provision of effective remedies, recourse, redress and other [compensatory] measures, at national, regional and international levels.
5. Strategies to achieve full and effective equality, including international co-operation and enhancement of the UN and other international mechanisms in combating racism, racial discrimination, xenophobia and related intolerance, including follow-up procedures.
*Note that the word "compensatory" in theme 4 is in square brackets because there was no general agreement for including this term.
The National Anti-Racism Council (NARC) of Canada is a coalition of community based organizations and individuals who came together in May 2000, with a view to ensuring that there was wide community input both in the development of Canadas contributions to the United Nations World Conference Against Racism, Racial Discrimination, Xenophobia and Related Intolerance (WCAR), and in local community capacity building and commitment implementation work in the years following the global gathering.
NARC held a National Consultation June 15-17th, 2001 in Toronto Canada.
Various reports including the Executive Summary Report have been released and is posted at 'About NARC'.
Please email NARC at email@example.com for more information.
check out these NGO resource web-sites under favourite links:
Other Resources on this site include
The Final WCAR Declaration and Programme of Action
The Final NGO Declaration and Programme of Action
Articles and Postings from NGOs and
Contacts for various participating NGOs
Check out the VACC NGO Virtual Forum Website